Thursday, October 18, 2007

Post Secret

www.postsecret.com
I stumbled across Post Secret two years ago. It's a project in which anyone can create a postcard with their secret on it and have it posted online. I actually got to meet the creator, Frank Warren, during his Valentine's Day exhibit at the Visionary Art Museum in 2006. He showcased some of the postcards that have been sent to him here in Maryland, and promoted one of his books (I think there are three or four books out now)

I like this project not only because of the secrets (some make you laugh, some make you want to cry) but also because of all the different design executions. People put images together, or create their own. Other materials are used or recycled, like bandaids. It's always interesting for me to look at other people's designs, but I really enjoy seeing the work and solutions created by people who aren't designers.

It's a great way for people to express themselves visually and verbally.

4 comments:

m4rk said...

PostSecret is a great concept. Doesn't the creator live in (or at least near) Maryland? He has exhibits here often.

It's true, the imagery is often as striking as the confessions, which inspires some concise designs.

Kristina said...

I think the creator lives in Germantown, MD.

While I was at Barnes & Noble the other day, I saw the books. I think one just came out.

The display also had blank postcards that you could take home with you in case you want to send in your own PostSecret!

Heather said...

i stumbled upon this awhile ago as well. i check it on a regular basis. every sunday i'm there to check out the new postcards. i went to an exibit down in d.c. awhile back. it was amazing. it was so cool to see the postcards in real life, not just on a blog. people put so much into them. they really are more than secrets, they're a creative outlet.

michelle said...

this is so cool--i want to play!